Chào mừng quý vị đến với Hành trang cuộc sống - Lê Thị Phương Mai .
KỲ THI TUYỂN SINH LỚP 10 CHUYÊN THPT
TẠI TP.HCM NĂM HỌC 2008-2009
MÔN: TIẾNG ANH (môn chuyên)
I. CHOOSE THE WORD WHOSE UNDERLINED PART IS PRONOUNCED DIFFERENTLY FROM THAT OF THE OTHERS:
1. A. eventually B. depletion C. competitive D. regretful
2. A. vacancy B. wholesale C. inflation D. stagnant
3. A. education B. bridges C. garage D. enlarge
4. A. box B. clocks C. class D. relics
5. A. church B. further C. sure D. urgent
II. CHOOSE THE WORD WHOSE STRESS PATTERN IS DIFFERENT FROM THAT OF THE OTHERS:
1. A. possession B. property C. industry D. element
2. A. basically B. eminent C. ordinary D. maternal
3. A. shortcoming B. leopard C. kindergarten D. personify
4. A. undoubtedly B. economic C. university D. agricultural
5. A. enthusiasm B. fertilizer C. indicator D. socializing
III. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER TO FILL IN THE BLANK:
1. I don’t see any _______ in arriving early at the theater if the show doesn’t start until 9 o’clock.
A. cause B. reason C. aim D. point
2. The new manager’s office has _______ new equipment.
A. many B. a lot of C. some of D. a few
3. I don’t _______ to change my job because I like it.
A. risk B. intend C. persist D. insist
4. You thought I did wrong but the result _______ my action.
A. agreed B. approved C. proved D. justified
5. Thomas has a garden which is _______ mine.
A. double as large B. semi-larger than
C. twice as large as D. as two-time as large
6. _ “What do you think of the film we’ve watched?” _ “____________”
A. It’s a breeze! B. No kidding! C. I’ve seen better. D. None of your business!
7. In 1870, _______, John D. Rockefeller and others created the Standard Oil Company.
A. that oil prices fluctuated B. despite fluctuating oil prices
C. but the oil prices fluctuated D. oil prices were fluctuating
8. ______ to school by bus.
A. Many a student goes B. Many the students go
C. Many of students go D. Much student goes
9. Careless driving also accounts ______ the increasing number of traffic accidents.
A. on B. into C. for D. with
10. ______ is not clear to researchers.
A. Why dinosaurs having become extinct B. Why dinosaurs became extinct
C. Did dinosaurs become extinct D. Dinosaurs became extinct
11. The new manager is ______ easy-going. He is always very serious about the work.
A. by no means B. by means of C. by all means D. in the mean time
12. We enjoy the hams and coffee at this _______ restaurant.
A. family-owning B. family-owned C. owning-family D. owned-family
13. I’d rather ______ to the party with my parents because there was nothing interesting there.
A. haven’t been invited B. hadn’t been invited
C. not be invited D. not have been invited
14. When the university suggested _______, the student union protested vigorously.
A. tuition be raised B. to raise tuition C. on raising tuition D. that tuition should raise
15. ______ one after another, parallel computers perform groups of operations at the same time.
A. Conventional computers, by handling tasks
B. Since tasks being handled by conventional computers
C. Whereas conventional computers handle tasks
D. While tasks handled by conventional computers
16. She ______ him of having lied to her.
A. threatened B. blamed C. criticized D. accused
17. We have bought extra food _______ our friends stay to have dinner.
A. in case B. if C. provided D. as long as
18. Cut this cake into six _______ pieces.
A. same B. alike C. like D. equal
19. If only it _______ differently! I had hoped to be acquitted.
A. had been concluded B. were concluded C. had concluded D. concluded
20. I was ______ in the countryside but went to school in HCMC.
A. brought up B. taken over C. made up D. put off
21. Most of _______ archaeologists know about prehistoric cultures is based on studies of material remains.
A. these B. what C. which D. their
22. We couldn’t afford that house because it ________.
A. was over my head B. paid through the nose
C. cost an arm and a leg D. blew my own trumpet
23. ______ the Christmas shopping season begins.
A. That is after Thanksgiving B. After Thanksgiving it is
C. It is after Thanksgiving that D. It is Thanksgiving that
24. New York City is America’s largest city, ______ it is not the capital of New York State.
A. therefore B. but C. so D. however
25. He promised her an Oxford dictionary, but disappointingly he _______ on his word.
A. turned over B. stood up C. went back D. sat down
26. This young music composer is very famous _______ the most influential composer.
A. for B. to C. as D. with
27. She came ______ a lot of problems at work.
A. up with B. down with C. in for D. up against
28. They take ______ each other like two peas.
A. in B. after C. to D. for
29. Didn’t it ever ______ to them that they would be severely punished?
A. occur B. happen C. enter D. come
30. If you want to ______ weight, cut down on fat.
A. put off B. come down C. take over D. cut off
31. By the time we get out of this traffic jam, all the guests _______ home.
A. have gone B. had gone C. will go D. will have gone
32. ______ members of the class has to be responsible for his own actions.
A. Each of the B. Every C. None of D. All
33. The teacher _______ them the answer to the question.
A. explained B. said C. discussed D. told
34. We met each other at the meeting ______ coincidence.
A. by B. in C. for D. to
35. As we’ve been discussing for 2 hours without any solution, I’d like to ______ my own solution to this problem.
A. come up B. bring down C. put forward D. take in
36. The accident resulted ______ some minor injuries.
A. to B. from C. in D. of
37. Dave, I really appreciate _______ me. But I think I could manage it myself.
A. you to help B. you helped C. your helping D. that you would help
38. One of the robbers was described by the witnesses _______ tall and about 25.
A. like B. by C. in D. as
39. I left the purse at home. Can you _______ without breakfast today, dear?
A. go B. do C. make D. live
40. One of the solutions _______ by environmentalists is to ban vehicles from the city center.
A. are suggested B. is suggested C. suggesting D. suggested
41. While the boss was away, her assistant stood ______ her and helped her solve any problems arising.
A. up to B. in for C. up against D. out of
42. I would like to rent a house, modern, comfortable, and _______ in a quite place.
A. before all B. above all C. first of all D. after all
43. We could never get ready for the test at such short _______.
A. call B. notice C. advice D. note
44. To resist corrosion _______ for today's car to prevent havoc caused by road salts, gravel and other materials.
A. have new coatings been developed B. new coatings developing
C. development of new coatings D. new coatings have been developed
45. Some scientists say it is essential that mankind _______ the amount of air pollution in big cities.
A. be reduced B. reduced C. reduce D. will reduce
46. She couldn’t but _____ there crying.
A. stood B. standing C. to stand D. stand
47. ______ where to find the key, the boy could not open the safe.
A. Knowing not B. Knew not C. Not knowing D. Didn’t know
48. They received _______ advice from their parents that they became successful.
A. so good B. such a good C. so good an D. such good
49. Computers are said to be _______ for the development of mankind.
A. here to stay B. neither here nor there
C. here and there D. here today, gone tomorrow
50. _ “She’s the best pianist in the school.” _ “__________”
A. That’s that. B. Never mind! C. That’s OK! D. You can say that again.
Lê Thị Phương Mai @ 06:59 08/11/2012
Số lượt xem: 1634